If you have been a victim of a hurricane, flood, tornado, fire, or any other federally declared disaster, you need to find out about the IRS Disaster Relief program.

If your loss is part of a presidentially declared disaster, you can deduct the loss on your prior-year return. If you’ve already filed your prior-year return, you can file an amended return to claim the deduction.

Claiming a qualifying disaster loss on your prior-year return:

  • Could result in a lower tax for that year

  • Often produces or increases a cash refund

  • Might let you get your money months earlier than if you wait to claim your loss on your current-year return

(We are sorry, but our service does not apply to mobile or manufactured homes.)